Pan Bloglodytes

One Monkey. One Typewriter. No Shakespeare.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Ed, Edd, and Terrifying Cases of Dissentry

Now, the reason there's been nothing for a while isn't because I've been doing interesting things all weekend, but rather because the internet services here are so unbelievably complicated (they involve a several page book, and long sequences of opening boxes I never even knew existed on my laptop) that I haven't been able to get online. I still haven't set it up, actualy, and am writing from the Hall Computer Lab, which took me this long to find despite being right next to my house.

Oh, but you'll understand. Unbelievably, it seems I wasn't paranoid enough about going to Uni, which, given I spent all August gibbering under a sheet, is something of an achievement. The entire first day read like an episode of "Mr.McFool does Academia", and was like something out of a nightmare (Edinburgh Halls do look like they exist in a dream, due to both the wierd geological mess of the surroundings and the confused, unreal looking students). I managed to be sick, three times, in the back of the dining hall. With all the students there. Then I had to run past them all to get to the toilets. Which were several doors away. And I went in to the womens' by mistake. This hardly did my nerves much good, and I ended up collapsing in a heap at 9:30, the exact time at which everyone else in my house left to party. When I woke up, everyone knew everyone else, and I had a headache any other student would have needed quite a lot of alchohol to achieve.

So things are a bit rubbish so far, and the "huge number of friends for life" you're supposed to meet are conspicuously failing to materialise. It's not all been doom and creaky floors; I went on a great coffee-house crawl last night, met loads of people, and forgot to ask where they lived, I finaly met one of my English friends due to a series of preposterous coincidences, and I met a wonderfuly lovely guy at supper today just as petrified as I am. And the Guardian costs 20 pence. But it's still strange, after living in total isolation for so long, and terrifying, having, well, lived in total isolation for so long. More soon, once I stop feeling so unwell, and the abnormal heatwave plauging the city goes away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home