Pan Bloglodytes

One Monkey. One Typewriter. No Shakespeare.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Even my mid-life crisis is an early developer

There are, as far as I can see, three types of students: the ones who know exactly what they're going to do in life, and so are able to spend their time as a student drinking constantly, the ones who have no idea what on Earth's going on with them, and so drink constantly to forget, and those who lurch wildly between the two, and have to drink for other people's safety.

I fall somewhere between those last two camps, like a non-accurate parachutist in a terrible analogy. Every so often, I'll sit bolt upright, say something like: "Yes! Starting up a company which creates abstract art out of sheep is exactly what I want to do!", before sinking into a blind panic that lasts about seven hours. After which I'm pretty much where I started, but with about 7000 GigaJordans of added humiliation.

This comes from doing the least vocational degree ever. Actually, prospective employers could read this. From doing a spectacularly vocational degree. But to what end exactly I'm still not quite sure: Biology has a nasty habit of seeming too sciency for creative-type jobs, and too soft for analysis-type jobs. So spreadsheets, basically. Woo. There is always the "Medical Researcher" pathway left open, but frankly I'd rather go down a pathway to a big scary house, which, knowing my luck, is exactly the sort of thing I'll end up doing in my future career.

So I'm a bit terrified, really, especially considering my concern about my employability, twinned with my concern for the rights of all people, led to me agreeing to be locked in a cage. God knows how that's going to look on a CV. Still, whether I'm locked up, mildly dazed, or lost in the middle of a suburb, one thing's certain: Pan Bloglodytes is most assuredly running again. Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home